DBMS offers network services for Microsoft and Linux environments.
Our offerings include:
- Setup, installation or upgrade of new local and wide-area networks.
- Setup, installation and/or upgrade of network mail servers.
- Review of existing network infrastructure.
- Internet access procurement and setup services including T1, frame relay and DSL.
- Security hardware and software review.
- Administration and maintenance services.
DBMS has the experience to implement these steps as a coordinated approach to securing your network. We have selected best-of-breed security products that allow us to assist you in the protection of your systems. These solutions can be implemented on virtually any size network. Please contact us for more information.
Network Security Checklist
The following steps outline both policies for protecting yourself from the Internet as well as management of your internal network to minimize your exposure.
Internal (inside your network)
- Create an Acceptable Usage Policy for your organization, and include it in your employee handbook or manual.
- Deploy virus protection on the network, including the desktop. Automatically keep your virus definitions up-to-date.
- Institute a method for filtering access to inappropriate content.
- Take advantage of tools that monitor and report on Internet usage.
- Install and manage spyware/adware removal software.
- Do regular data backups (tape, optical or Internet) of your important information.
- Use power backups with automatic server shutdown.
- Have a dedicated A/C, no carpets and no windows in the computer room.
- Allow key-only access to the computer room.
External (outside your network)
- Install a firewall to help prevent network attacks.
- Filter out junk mail before it gets to your network.
There is no perfect solution for protecting your network. The best you can do is to employ the necessary steps to minimize your risk.